This past week marked one year at The News Journal. For most, that wouldn’t be anything worth celebrating, but for me, someone who has constantly been on the move, my time at The News Journal is the longest I have spent at one job. One the the biggest reasons that I am still here one year later, without a doubt, is the team I am a part of. The people on the new media team come from such a varied background, and have such diverse skill sets, that we can take on almost any project that we want to without having to coordinate an entire newsroom.
Some highlights from my first year:
- Photographing NASCAR (I had no idea just how loud it would be)
- Shooting both stills and video for a three-part series on crime in Wilmington
- The opportunity to cover the president and vice president
- Phillies opening day
- Covering Hurricane Irene … editing in the field and racing from place to place to try and cover as many locations as we could (I ended up putting up 10 videos in three days).
Some stats I learned during a recent visit from corporate:
- We averaged around 30 videos a week
- The News Journal ranked in the top three among Gannett newspapers for video plays
- Our video plays tripled in the past year